• Surya Safari SD Student of Doctoral Program in Management Science of STIESIA Surabaya, Indonesia
  • Suwitho Indonesia School of Economics (STIESIA), Surabaya, Indonesia


This study is aimed at finding out and analyzing how the effect of the control system and the competence of supervisors on the work motivation of salespersons and their relationship to the performance of salespersons at PT. Agung Automall Pekanbaru. For this purpose, a study was conducted by taking a sample of 139 salespersons of PT. Agung Automall Pekanbaru and the data collection technique employed is a questionnaire. The data analysis model employed is Partial Least Square-Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM). The hypothesis is tested by looking at the R-Square, Q-Square and path coefficients to get information on how much the dependent latent variable is influenced by the independent latent variable and the significance test. The results showed that the control system had a positive and significant effect on motivation, competence had a positive and significant effect on motivation, motivation had a positive and significant effect on performance, the control system had no significant effect on performance, competence had a positive and significant effect on performance. From the R-Square value, the results showed that the percentage of the effect of the control system and competence on motivation was 68.3% while the remaining 31.7% was influenced by other factors. The percentage of the effect of motivation as an intervening variable, control system, and competence on performance is 0.848, meaning 84.8% while the remaining is caused by other factors. The results of the calculation of the Q2 value show that the diversity of the research data can be explained by the structural model developed in this study, which is 60.5%. Based on these results, the structural model in this study has a decent goodness of fit.


Ackah, A. J. O. O. 2015. Employee ’ S Competency and Organizational Performance in the Pharmaceutical Industry. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, III(3), 1–9.
Dubey, R., & Ali, S. S. 2011. Study on Effect of Functional Competency on Performance of Indian Manufacturing Sector. INTECH Open Access Publisher, 3(3), 1–15.
Feinberg, M., & Kennedy, J. 2008. Journal of Business & Economics Research – November, 2008 Volume 6, Number 11, 6(11), 1–6.
Handayani, F. M. H. A. D. 2013. Pengaruh kepemimpinan. Komunikasi, Sistem Kontrol, Diklat dan Kompensasi terhadap Kinerja Karyawan.Jurnal Akuntansi,1 (3).
Ismail, R., & Abidin, S. Z. 2010. Impact of workers’ competence on their performance in the Malaysian private service sector. Business and Economic Horizons, 2(August), 25–30.
Mahmud Wibowo, Wahju Wibowo, S. 2015. Pengaruh Gaya Kepemimpinan dan Motivasi Kerja terhadap Kinerja Tenaga Penjual Melalui Komitmen Organisasi (Studi Pada PT. Margo Pangestu Perkasa Malang). Manajamen Dan Bisnis Jurnal, 1 no. 1.
Özçelik, G., & Ferman, M. 2006. Competency Approach to Human Resources Management: Outcomes and Contributions in a Turkish Cultural Context. Human Resource Development Review, 5(1), 72–91.
Putra, R. Y. R. I. 2015. Peengaruh Gaya Kepemimpinan, Kompensasi dan Kompetensi terhadap Kepuasan Kerja dan Motivasi Kerja serta dampaknya terhadap Kinerja Pegawai Biro Kesra SETDA Aceh. Jurnal Manajemen Pascasarjana Universitas Syiah Kuala, 4(2), 211–220.
Rahmayanti. 2014. Pengaruh Motivasi Kerja Terhadap Kinerja Karyawan Pada Cv. Putra Kaltim Samarinda. Ilmu Administrasi Bisnis, 2(2), 215–229.
Rosewinda, I. S. 2013. Analisis Faktor - Faktor yang Mempengaruhi Kinerja Tenaga Penjual pada PT. MRK Diagnostics Cabang Semarang.. Dinamika Manajemen, 2(c), 2.
Sampurno, K. J. 2006. Analisis Faktor-Faktor Yang Mempengaruhi Kinerja Efektifitas Penjualan Perusahaan. Jurnal Studi Manajemen& Organisasi, 3, 64–78.
Sari, Y. K. 2014. Pengaruh Kepemimpinan, Motivasi dan Disiplin Kerja Terhadap Kinerja Karyawan pada PT. Patra Komala di Dumai. Jurnal Tepak Manajemen Bisnis, VI(2), 119–127.
Setiawan, K. C. 2015. Pengaruh Motivasi Kerja terhadap Kinerja Karyawan Level Pelaksana di Divisi Operasi PT. PUSRI Palembang. Psikis-Jurnal Psikologi Islami, 1(2), 43–53.
Suhermini. 2011. Efektifitas Penjualan Perusahaan Penerbitan dan Kinerja Tenaga Penjualan. Jurnal Dinamika Manajemen, 2(1), 17–25. Retrieved from
Tampi, B. J. 2014. Pengaruh Gaya Kepemimpinan dan Motivasi Terhadap Kinerja Karyawan pada PT. Bank Negara Indonesia, Tbk (Regional Sales Manado) Journal “Acta Diurna” Volume III. No.4. Tahun 2014, III(4), 1–20.
Utami, S. P. 2015. Pengaruh Kepemimpinan, Motivasi dan Komunikasi Interpersonal terhadap Kinerja Karyawan pada Biro Perjalanan Wisata “Panen Tour.” Jurnal Ilmiah WIDYA, ISSN: 2337-6686, 3(1), 1–9.
Yaşar, M. F., Ünal, Ö. F., & Zaim, H. 2013. Analyzing the Effects of Individual Competencies on Performance: a Field Study in Services Industries in Turkey. Journal of Global Strategic Management, 2(7), 67–67.